Safe and healthy sleep for your growing baby!
By delta baby
Your baby needs good quality to sleep to grow and it's so important to ensure they are given a safe and healthy sleep environment from day one.
SIDS provide some great tips on how to keep baby safe while sleeping:
- Sleep baby on the back from birth, not on the tummy or side
- Sleep baby with head and face uncovered
- Keep baby smoke free before birth and after
- Provide a Safe Sleeping Environment night and day (Safe cot, Safe mattress, Safe bedding)
- Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping place in the same room as an adult caregiver for the first six to twelve months
We're all about creating a healthy and safe sleep environment for your baby which is why we created the delta baby bassinet and cot mattresses. Our cover is made with hypoallergenic cotton fabric that breathe easy and keep your precious little bundle at the right temperature all night long. Our beautifully designed covers are also machine washable to ensure you can always keep it clean and fresh.
We also wanted to ensure our product wasn't harmful to the environment so we chose foams that are derived from coconut oil and made from naturally occurring, bio-based, renewable materials. Eventually they will be broken down into oxygen and easily recycled back into the environment!
Another thing you need to watch out for is mattress firmness. Foam that is too soft can cause suffocation in infants and also may not support their growing body adequately. Our bassinet mattress is a firm support foam which will ensure bubs is well supported from head to tiny toe. Our cot mattresses use a thin layer of memory foam on top to give a beautiful comfy feeling whilst still being firm enough for growing bodies. Our products are built to comply with Australian safety standards for cot mattresses and pass the SIDS test for firmness.
Here are some other tips to ensure your babies bedding is as safe as possible!
- Always check your cot is free from damage before use.
- Do not use product if any damage is present.
- Ensure your waterproof mattress protector is strong and a tight fit.
- Never put soft bedding under the bottom sheet, such as a sheepskin, as this makes the sleeping surface too soft.
- Never place pillows or loose bedding in the cot
Introducing a bedtime routine early on will help your baby feel safe and secure when it comes to sleepy time. A warm bath followed by a book or a lullaby is a great way to encourage a calm and beautiful sleep environment.
Note: The views and advice expressed on this blog post are those of the author and are not representative of the Pregnancy Babies & Children's Expo.